- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
- Hike to rare mountain gorilla groups in Volcanoes National Park
- Learn about gorillas and their habitat at the Education Outreach and Conservation Gallery at the Ellen DeGeneres campus of the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund
- Experience traditional culture with an Intore dance performance
- Walk among endangered Golden Monkeys
No details found.
KIGALI TO VOLCANOES NATIONAL PARK
Your guide will meet you in Kigali and drive you 2 hours to Kinigi which is located at the base of Volcanoes National Park.
During the afternoon you have the opportunity to visit the newly built Ellen DeGeneres Campus of the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund where you can learn more about endangered mountain gorillas and their habitats, walk interpretive trails, and even read Dian Fossey’s original letters written in her research station.
You will overnight in a beautiful lodge just outside park headquarters in Kinigi.
After a hearty breakfast and fresh cup of Rwandan coffee, you will go to Volcanoes National Park headquarters where you will be briefed by park rangers before setting out on your hike to a gorilla family. Rangers make a best effort to match you with a gorilla family that suits your level of fitness and preference. Several gorilla families are typically within 45 minutes walking from the trailhead.
Once you reach the gorilla family, you will have an hour to observe them in their natural habitat. The gorilla experience is nearly unimaginable as you walk among these majestic animals.
After your trek to the gorillas you will visit a cultural village in Kinigi and attend a traditional dance performance by Intore dancers. This “Dance of Heroes” is certain to delight with their brightly colored clothes and flowing white hairpieces.
You will overnight again at the same lodge in Kinigi.
KINIGI TO KIGALI
In the morning, you have the opportunity to visit another endangered animal in Volcanoes National Park – the Golden Monkeys. This trek is typically 30 minutes from the start of the trailhead which takes you to bamboo forests where you can see the Golden Monkeys as they swing from branches and run right past you.
After lunch your guide will drive you back to Kigali.
- 2 nights in a beautiful 3+ star lodge in Kinigi (international standard)
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Knowledgeable drivers & guides, and safe vehicles
- Gorilla trekking permit ($1500)
- Golden Monkey visitation permit
- Performance and cultural center fees
- All taxes (18% VAT)
This itinerary is fully customizable if you would like to extend your stay and participate in additional treks in Volcanoes National Park, such as hiking to Dian Fossey’s grave site and former research station, hiking Mount Bisoke, or exploring Musanze’s caves.
No details found.
No Details Found